Saturday, August 18, 2007

Grandma Kaminskis

We got up this morning at 5:00! We stopped at Burger King for breakfast and we were on the road. We met Brian's dad and brother at a rest stop on the toll road and followed them to Cleveland. Brian's grandma is a few inches shorter than me. She spoke English a lot better than I was expecting. Talis and Andrew went to get her groceries while Brian and I stayed with her. She asked me about my family and asked if I had any sisters. She had 2 older brothers and 4 older sisters. Her one sister died in a bicycle accident and she said that her Godmother told her she needed to get her sister ready for burial. She said that was one of the hardest things she has ever done. She said she was very close with her sisters and she can remember them getting in bed together at night to share stories. She cried a lot when she talked about her sisters and said she's all alone now. I can't imagine all the things that she has seen in her life. We showed her some pictures of our wedding/reception/honeymoon. She could only look at pictures for a certain amount of time without having her eyes bother her. She has a magnifying glass that she looks at everything with. I was telling her about the ferry that took us between the islands in the USVI and she asked if it made me sick. She said when they came to the states from Latvia, they came on a boat and she was sick the entire time! She said it was awful!!

She was telling Talis that he never fixed her "bicycle"...so Andrew got it temporaily fixed with a rubberband. Her told her to try it and see if it would work for the time being. Aren't these pictures of her "biking" the cutest?? She was telling me she likes to ride the bike before she goes to bed. I told her Brian likes to have a bowl of ice cream before bed. She thought that was funny. :) When we went to leave she hugged me and told me that she loved me and she likes that I am like her (short). ha ha!

Right now, we are on the toll road heading home. I'm gonna try and nap now. :) Thanks to everyone for the prayers!! It's been a good day.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

So happy you had a good day with your new grandmother. She sounds like a neat lady:) And she's shorter than you? No way, he he.
Can't wait to see pictures!

Love,
Cheryl