Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My tanks

Mom called last night and said that the gas pricing were going up today (she has an inside source) so I got a full tank of gas in the Jeep! BTW, gas went DOWN today. Oh well, it was just 3 cents...not 30!

Then I saw a shirt today on the computer that said - Living with Diabetes is like the gas tank in your car...You don't move if you overfill and you're in trouble when your empty!

Today was a challenging day for me. Usually my blood sugars are good and if they are high/low I can get them fixed pretty fast. But for some reason, my fasting BS was 147 which is high...especially when I didn't have supper the night before. I wasn't feeling well last night so I thought maybe that was why. So, I took some insulin, had some coffee and my BS went up to 275. Throughout the day, I had ranged from low 60's to 275. Not good.

It's hard to explain to a non-diabetic how it makes you feel. When it's getting low, I can feel it dropping. When it's getting high, I usually get a really bad headache and just want to close my eyes. It really wears me out. All the changing of the levels makes me tired!

Sometimes it is so frustrating!! I hate it. I don't usually have that many days like this and I try to be thankful that at least I have a treatable disease.

A special thanks to ALL of my co-workers. They are really good with me and know that I am a little irritable when my sugar is out of whack. Cheryl was so nice to let me go home a little early today! Randa made sure that my sugar was back up before I drove home and Dr. wouldn't take my word that I had juice in my purse....he made me show it to him as I walked out the door!

An even more special thanks to my mama who brought me lunch. I called her to tell her about my sugars and she asked if she could bring me lunch. All I asked was for a PB sandwich, some carrots and a banana. She showed up with a thing of strawberries, 3 bananas, a loaf of bread, a jar of PB, string cheese and little juice jars! Isn't she the best mom ever!! Thanks mom!

2 comments:

Anitra said...

Although we always tease mom about being "DR Jeri", she is always the one I want there when the kids or I am sick. Or at least talk to her about what to do. I hope when my kids are grown, they will feel that way about me.

Addi said...

So true!! I am sure they will be calling you when they are almost 30 too! :)