Sunday, March 2, 2008

Off to a rocky start...

So yesterday was day 1 of vacation...

Our flight was supposed to leave out of South Bend at 3:10pm. Our flight was delayed which always adds a little suspense to the day when flying with 2 children, ages 3 1/2 and 13 months! Our flight finally took off at 4:45!

Ty was asleep when we boarded the plane and Anitra held him. Jacinda sat next to them. Senica and I sat in the row in front of them. Senica was an absolute angel! Oh yeah, the day before we flew, both kids were sick...ear infections in all 4 of their ears! agghhh! Anitra and I had also come down with awful head colds! Senica didn't cry once during take off, but landing was another story. I knew when my ears started hurting (I am fighting this cold) that hers were gonna start any second. Needless to say, she cried some, but did an AMAZING job otherwise!

So...we get to the car rental place, we got Anitra all settled in her car. Car seats - check, luggage in the trunk - check....Addi's car in B10 - No Check!! I was sure that they told me my car was in B10, I got my paper back out...B10, no car. So, I find the guy and tell him my car is gone....back inside I go to get another car. Meanwhile, Anitra is calling me to ask how start her car. It's one of those magnetic ignitions. 30 minutes later we both had cars and were on the road....finally 40 minutes and we'll be to the house...or not!

We stopped at McDonalds to get something to eat. Our eating schedule was off since we were at the airport forever. I am ordering at the drive-thru and Anitra is in her car behind me. I see Anitra get out and then I hear her screaming...like I have never heard her scream before (even when giving birth to her children). She gets back in the car and drives off. I am now paying for my food, thinking I gotta go check on my sister and she calls....crying so hard I can't understand her..something about blood and Senica.

I get out of the drivers seat, tell Jacinda to get the food - I sprint across the parking lot around the corner and Anitra is standing outside of her car with blood running down her arm and dripping off her elbow! She said that Senica was sleeping, Ty's crying and she runs inside. I get Ty out of his seat and see Anitra run up to the counter...they hand her napkins and she runs to the bathroom. It's killing me to not go in and help her, but I have Senica and Ty!! The drive-thru took FOREVER before Jacinda got her food!! I tell her to watch Sencia and I take Ty in with me. Anitra is in the bathroom on the phone with Seth...crying...don't make me go without you! I just want to get to you! Seth is telling her to let Jacinda drive her car, but Anitra, the rule-keeper, didn't add another driver to the car so she won't let Jacinda drive. We finally get her finger to stop bleeding, using McDonald's napkins and tape from the first aid kit!

On the road again...Jacinda rode with Anitra and the kids...I am in a new car I am not used to, reading directions on how to get to our house, trying to not lose Anitra behind me, driving on a 4-lane toll road!! I am worried about my sister and about stressed to the max!!

We get to the house finally and check out the damage, both sides of her finger have deep puncture wounds! What happened...Well, Ty was crying and Anitra couldn't reach behind her to get to him b/c it's not her car...and he sits further back. So when we got to McDonalds, she got out to give him his pacifier, and the car started to move, like it wasn't in park. So she hopped back in and put it in park got back out, put the paci in his mouth, and realized her door was starting to shut...she was worried that it would have auto locks and lock her out, so she went to grab the door and her hand got shut in the door.

We got to the house and Seth and I thought that she really needed to go to the urgent care center, b/c it looked really bad! I said I would watch the kids so they could get her checked out. Well, the urgent care center is closed on the weekends...so off to the ER. Anitra and Seth finally got home at 1:00am! Anitra was not impressed with the hospital. They took x-rays, it wasn't broken...but they weren't even going to clean her wound. They never took her to a private room. Had her on a gurney in the hall, brought the x-ray machine to her and while they were doing the x-ray on her left hand, they were giving her a tetanus shot in her right arm! The while time in the hall!!! I am thankful tonight for a good hospital and healthcare where I live!
***Sigh*** What a relaxing first day of vacation!

No comments: