Saturday, June 2, 2007

Diabetes...yuk!

All I have wanted this past week is ice cream....everyday! It has been so warm outside and I love ice cream and have been really craving it! When I got groceries this week, I found one of my favorite childhood summer snacks, Jell-o pudding pops! :) So, I bought a box. I of course, checked the box first and each one is only 15 grams. Just one unit of insulin...yeah!
As most of you know, I am going into my 11th year of this yucky disease, diabetes! I was diagnosed on Christmas eve 1996, I was 16 years old. Since it was Christmas, I didn't get a lot of training and to this day, I have never been admitted to the hospital for anything related to my diabetes. Actually, I have never spent the night at the hospital as an in-patient. For the first 9 years, I was taking insulin shots. In the beginning a 70/30 mix, then onto Lantus and Humalog....now (drum roll please) Humalog only, via my insulin pump!!
Christmas 2005, Merry Christmas to me...I got my pump! Before I received my pump my A1C was 11.3!!! Today the doctors office called with my most current labs...7.9. Not the best #, but I was not expecting a 6.0. I have been having high mid-morning blood sugars. We are working on getting that fixed. After a really busy Jan-May (married on the beach in Fl, a week later - we moved into our new house, planning our reception for June 9th, planning our honeymoon, working full-time....) I was happy that my A1C was still under 8.

I am posting some pictures of my pump and also my "port" where my insulin is delivered. I have to change my infusion set and port every 3-4 days. It's pretty small (you can see...that's a quarter that I am holding next to it) and really nice to not have to pull out the syringe in the restaurant at dinner! :)

No comments: