Sunday, January 18, 2009

Visit to the ER


Last night Brian was working on some of our pipes that have ice in them. He was sitting on the kitchen floor, hunched over, one leg out, one leg in...are you getting the picture? Not very good ergonomic working conditions. He had the kitchen snake, yes, THE snake and was shoving it through the pipes. He was using such force that felt something painful in his lower right back. He thought he would just take a break and go at it again in a few minutes. I was in the living room with Janae and Senica when we heard him crying out in pain. He was on the floor saying that he hurt his back!

I asked if we could get him anything or what we could do and he just wanted us to let him lay there. I got the kids in bed and by now he was on the couch. I asked if he needed anything and he said he was ok, but I put a little heat pack on his back. I went to bed and told him if he needed me to just call for me. His pain then was at a 7.

He woke me up a little before 6 telling me that yes, he did want me to take him to the ER. Now, my husband has a high pain tolerance and really hates hospitals...so for him to say this, I knew he was in pain! His pain then was at a 9.

So I called Anitra and asked her if she could come get the girls. Then, I woke up Janae, Brenna and Senica and told them what was going on. Janae said, "Well, we better start praying" Isn't that so sweet?! So I got the girls coats on and Seth came and picked them up. He also helped Brian to the car because I had no way of helping him myself. So thanks Seth!

We went to the Goshen ER because I wanted to know that he was getting good care. I was glad we decided that b/c one of his best friends dads was working in the ER and so that helped Brian a little. Then, when they came to take x-rays, it was someone that I used to work with and she said I could go back with him when she took his x-rays. I felt much better knowing he was going to be taken care of.

The doc said nothing showed on the x-rays, which I figured he would say. They gave Brian some Phenergan, Valium and Dilaudid. He was pretty loopy after that...yes, that is when I took his pics with my camera phone. They sent us home with some pain medicine and muscle relaxers and said to rest until Tues. and then follow up with the family doc, who should order an MRI at that point if Brian isn't feeling better. He said no work or physical labor at least on Mon/Tues.

When we got home, I got him upstairs and into bed. He's been there ever since.

Please keep him in your prayers. And me too...I am not used to my husband being laid up, and I still have pipes under the sink that have been taken apart and not put together. So, tomorrow I need a plumber to come to the house and fix it. Sigh...

Oh and please pray for Senica too....Anitra called me when we were at the hospital and said that Senica threw up before they made it out the door for church. ugh!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Nicole said...

We are praying for you guys. Let me know if we need to make a change for study on Wednesday since it is supposed to be at your house.

The Barnes said...

I am so glad that he was not too stubborn and went to the ER!! We are praying for a speedy recovery.

Cheryl said...

He looks so cute in the hospital pictures:) He looks happy, too so I assume the pain meds were working by then. ha ha

Praying for him to have a speedy recovery. I talked to Charlie and he did the same thing to his back this fall.

Love ya!

Jeffrey and Tiffany said...

Poor Brian! We will definitely keep both of you in our prayers!!